Friday, December 23, 2011

Day 23- Christmas Traditons

I thought it might be fun to list some fun christmas traditions/memories that have been made over the years:-) Here are 10 of my favorites!


1- We always had stockings growing up:-) Sometimes we opened them on Christmas day, but mostly we opened them on Christmas Eve and occasionlly we saved them for New Year's Day. I forget how old we were when my sisters and I started one for my mom as well! It was always so much fun getting her little things to put in a stocking :-)

2-Growing up on a farm was different as far as holidays go.....there were still chores to be done. My oldest sister and I decided one year to give my parents a break on christmas morning and we got up early to milk the cows and do the chores. We did this several years in a row and once we locked ourselves out of the house! Of course everyone else was still sleeping and so we had to decide how we were going to get in.....of course I had the clever idea of sneaking in through the basement doors:-)

3- We always had a fire in the fireplace:-) I remember after opening our gifts, laying in front of the fireplace, either reading a new book, playing with some new toy or taking a snooze:-)

4- My dad always read the christmas story from the bible on christmas morning, before opening our presents! It was and still is a special time:-)

5- After getting married Christmas was of course different celebrating with two families.....but just as fun!! Jesse's family always gets together for Christmas Eve and we open presents, I thought it strange when we first started, that they never opened presents on Christmas...but now I look forward to that special time with family:-)

6-Us siblings in Jesse's family have started the tradion of watching a christmas movie together on Christmas Eve. We always watch Elf sometime during the Christmas season and then we try and agree on a movie to watch christmas eve :-)

7- Getting together with Jesse's family and mine over christmas makes it a little busy, so usually Jesse and I celebrate together Christmas eve eve(the 23rd) and christmas eve morning. I try to make a special dinner for us to eat on the 23rd, something I wouldn't normally make! Our first year we were married I made spinach artichoke dip, and chicken parmesan:-) THis year I made ribs, garlic mashed potatoes and roasted green beans:-)

8-Christmas Eve morning I make homemade cinnabuns for Jesse and I and we enjoy them and coffee as we open our christmas presents from each other :-)

9- We are both big game people and grew up playing games! Jesse's family plays card games all day long on holidays and my family plays mostly board games! It's a blast:-)

10-And of course there is food! Both our families are pretty traditional in ham, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, corn, green beans......ect. My mom always makes dried corn for Christmas and it's sooo yummy!!


I can't wait to start new traditons over the years and continue these:-) I am so blessed to have family that I love dearly!

No comments:

Post a Comment